Wednesday, October 4, 2017

WILLOWweaver West Tamar Road Trevallyn/Riverside

This WAS NOT the house as it turns out but it was nearby


About 15 years I bought some willow baskets from someone who I believe was an Italian retiree(??)working from his house on the West Tamar Hwy. He told me then that he’d stopped making because “the council have taken away my trees ... I cannot get the willow anymore” I bought the 4 baskets he had left and he took down the sign on his front lawn that simply said as I recall  “WILLOW BASKETS”.  It turns out that his name was Mr. Di Lullo


That sign I’d seen for ages thinking I must go and have a look and when I did it was almost too late.

Cutting to the chase, having told this little story there is some interest in tracking down ‘WILLOWERS’ in Tasmania. This Italian(?) gentleman it would be find out who he was and little bit about his story. He almost probably has passed away BUT he may have family still living in Tasmania and/or on the Tamar somewhere. 

Interestingly, there was a similar sign on a house on Westbury Rd. at about the same time. Possibly these signs might be related in some way via the people, the willow they using or the makers ethnic/ origins?? All information and recollections welcomed

PLEASE CONTACT Ray Norman C/- WILLOWweavers Project 


It turns out that the maker's name is Mr. Di Lullo
NOT Mr Di Lullo's property




No comments:

Post a Comment